01 Oct October is Local Travel Month!
For the entire month of October, I will be answering the question “Why Travel Local?” by traveling to places within a few hours driving from my hometown. I’ll share my experiences along the way while providing local-travel ideas and philosophy in an effort to encourage others to look to their own backyard for travel opportunities that are often overlooked.
Here is a sampling of some of the local travel adventures I have planned:
- Harpers Ferry, WV: I’ll go “glamping” with my girlfriends on a riverfront campsite
- Philadelphia: I’ll weigh in on the epic Pat’s vs Geno’s cheesesteak debate.
- Southern Delaware: I’ve spent many a summer lounging on one of Delaware’s fabulous beaches. This time, I’ll go beyond the beach and the boardwalk to find Southern Delaware‘s best hidden treasures.
- St. Michaels, MD: I’ll visit the best that Talbot County has to offer as I experience the picturesque Eastern Shore for the very first time.
- Virginia Wine Trail: I’ll visit some of Virginia’s best wineries while taking in the gorgeous fall foliage.
- Plus a few surprises…
So, stay tuned and keep checking back here for the latest photos, tips and stories.
And while I’m out exploring, I hope you’re inspired to get out and do the same. Instead of walking by that local museum you’ve passed time and time again- I challenge you to do something unexpected. Why not go in? And what about that nearby city just a few short hours away that you’ve never made time to visit. I say: Go!
By exploring your local treasures you’ll satisfy your inner travel bug, support local tourism and find new appreciation for your hometown.
Follow along with the Local Travel movement on Twitter as I use the hashtag #TravelLocal every step along the way. (And, tag your own local travels with that hashtag as well!)